Direct School Admission (DSA) - 2018
DSA-Sec is an admission exercise to allow participating schools to select some P6 students for admission to Secondary 1 based on their achievements and talents before the PSLE results are released. The objective of the DSA-Sec is to promote holistic education by giving participating schools greater flexibility in selecting students while holding on to the key principles of transparency and meritocracy. For students, the DSA provides them the opportunity to demonstrate a more diverse range of achievements and talents in seeking admission to secondary schools.
In Canberra Secondary School, staff and students alike are constantly engaged in developing new ideas for the digital media in teaching and learning. Our Applied Learning Programme (Digital Media) is endorsed and recognised by MOE. It is aligned with the school’s vision of nurturing students into Grateful, Respectful and Compassionate Canberrans. Through our structured school-wide Applied Learning Programme (in Digital Media), our students are given a headstart in digital media. The Digital Media Programme incorporates learning in authentic setting and integrates education and career experiences for the students. The exposure in depth and breadth gives our students the opportunity and skillsets to further their interests in Digital Media related fields later in their education and career choices.
The school has vacancies for up to 20% of our Secondary 1 cohort in 2019 for the DSA-Sec programme. Interested students can apply through the Direct School Admission (DSA) process.
Parents and students are encouraged to choose schools wisely based on the student’s aptitudes and strengths, bearing in mind the schools’ academic and non-academic requirements, and the programmes available to develop the area of talent.
|• Keen interest in learning digital media such as Photography, Videography and Animation. Prior knowledge in digital media preferred.|
|• Exhibits aptitude in high performance capability in creative and artistic areas, possess an unusual leadership capacity, or display high level of self-motivation and self-directedness.|
|• Savour the joy of creating Digital and Visual Arts together.|
|• Must be in Primary 6 at the point of application or equivalent (international students).|
1. The application form can be downloaded here
2. Alternatively, you may also obtain a copy of the form from the School General Office.
3. Please attach the following supporting documents (where applicable) to the application form:
- Application form with recent photograph attached
- Certified true copies of Pri 5 End-of-Year and Pri 6 Mid-Year result slips
- Certified true copies of all other supporting documents e.g. Awards and Prizes Received, CCA Records, Participation in Competition, Leadership Records, Letter of Recommendation by Teachers or Instructors
- A personal statement (about 150 words) describing yourself, highlighting personal attributes that support your application
4. Please submit all applications in hardcopies, together with all the supporting documents to the general office of Canberra Secondary School at the following address:
Direct School Admission Exercise 2018
Canberra Secondary School
51 Sembawang Drive
Important dates and contact information
- The deadline for the application is 2 July 2018.
- All short-listed candidates will be informed to attend an interview. Selection phase is from 3 Jul to 31 Aug 2018.
- All applicants will be notified of the results of their application by 31 August 2018.
- Students who are offered a DSA-Sec place will need to exercise their School Preference within the period from 29 Oct 2018, 9am to 2 Nov 2018, 3pm. This can be done online through the DSA-Sec Internet System (or submitting hardcopy forms which will be issued to eligible DSA students on 29 Oct 2018).
- For further enquiries, please contact the School General Office at:
Tel: 6758 5070 Fax: 6758 3110