Craft & Technology
Vision: Synergy towards a Healthy & Innovative Department
Mission: To develop Canberrans into Healthy, Innovative and Enterprising Learners
At the Lower Secondary level, students are provided the opportunities to explore a range of media. The basic knowledge of drawing, colouring, painting and sculpture enhance students' understanding and appreciation of art in different perspectives.
Upper Secondary Art Elective Programme aims to provide a comprehensive and exciting Art education, which helps to nurture students' creative and critical thinking skills as well as to develop their sense of confidence through self-expression and involvement in exploration through experimentations.
In the four-five years of Art education, students have the chance to be exposed to experiences beyond the classroom through activities such as:
- T shirt Competition for Sec 2 Cohort Camp 2014 for all Sec 2 students
- Sculpture Programme for Sec 1 (Enrichment Programme)
- Art and Music programme for Sec 2 (Enrichment Programme)
- National Gallery Art Talk at School Hall (for all levels)
- Young Illustrator Awards (Online competition for all levels)
- Visit to Lasalle Open House on 17Jan
- Participating in Singapore Youth Festival(SYF) 2014
- 5th CAE Art Auction 2014 -Art Exhibition cum Art Auction
- Visit to Singapore Youth Festival 2014 Art Exhibition
- Void Deck Revamp @ Teck Ghee
- Yellowren Canvas Art School Competition; Inter-School (On-the-spot Art competition)
➢ Gold Award (Trophy and $1500 cash)
• Batik painting (Enrichment Programme for Sec 3)
- Art Visit to NYJC Art Visit to NYJC
- Kindness Art Competition 1- Loh Zi Ying Receiving Prize Kindness Art Competition 1- Loh Zi Ying Receiving Prize
- Kindness Art Competition 1- Loh Zi Ying Kindness Art Competition 1- Loh Zi Ying
- Kindness Art Competition 1- Winning Entry Kindness Art Competition 1- Winning Entry
- LLUMINATIONS Taiwanese Media Art Exhibition at Lasalle College 1 LLUMINATIONS Taiwanese Media Art Exhibition at Lasalle College 1
- LLUMINATIONS Taiwanese Media Art Exhibition at Lasalle College 2 LLUMINATIONS Taiwanese Media Art Exhibition at Lasalle College 2
- Passion Arts Festival- Budding Artists Passion Arts Festival- Budding Artists
- Passion Arts Festival- Finished Board Passion Arts Festival- Finished Board
- Passion Arts Festival- Students on the Board Passion Arts Festival- Students on the Board
- Passion Arts Festival- With VIPs Passion Arts Festival- With VIPs
- Sec3 Exploring Staged Photography Sec3 Exploring Staged Photography
Design and Technology
Design & Technology (D&T) Education aims to nurture in the students a way of thinking and doing - designerly dispositions that are inherent in design practices - through designing and making. Central to this learning is the design process that requires students to apply basic design and technology knowledge and design thinking skills. The design process consists of a set of stages that takes students from a design opportunity to a product solution to address user needs based on real-world contexts.
Through this learning platform, students undertake a series of projects progressively to consolidate their learning and to acquire new knowledge and skills. These projects range from teacher-controlled structured projects to student-driven open-ended projects that are based on real-world contexts.
In Canberra Secondary School, the D&T unit looks into the holistic development of the students by providing ample learning opportunities for all staff and students in the areas of design appreciation, designing innovative products and executing the making of the product.
As part of the professional development, the staff embarked on learning journeys to ArtScience Museum and attended the D&T Conference and cluster sharing sessions as well as sessions organised by the Design & Technology Educator Society (DTES) where they bounced ideas with teachers within the same fraternity.
To further facilitate their skill in Exploration of Ideas, students are exposed to sharing sessions conducted by cluster D&T teachers. Computer Aided Design (CAD) course was organised for students to give them an edge in presentation skill.
The students also participated in the Singapore Polytechnic Earthquake and Clean Water Energy competition. The event allowed our students to apply their understanding on structural technology and heighten their awareness in environmental issue.
The students also attended the Marketing Innovation Challenge organised by the Republic Polytechnic. This competition gave the students an understanding of market centric approach, meeting of consumer needs and innovation as value driver for enhancing users' experience.
Food and Nutrition
Here in Canberra, our students gain rich experiences through participating in an array of activities such as culinary arts workshops and investigative food science experiments which provide opportunities for them to develop culinary skills as well as critical and logical thinking skills.
Our Secondary 3 students attended a workshop conducted by SHATEC as part of our enrichment programme. Under the close guidance of experienced instructors, our students learnt the art of bread-making through the series of lessons which delved into flour technology, mixing methods, fermentation and other baking fundamentals. In addition, the students made exquisite peach pastry tarts from scratch and acquired skills in creating tarts with a professional finish. Our students also relished the opportunity to pick up tips and tricks in perfecting buttercream frosting and were delighted to experiment with an assortment of piping techniques for cupcake frosting.