Mission Statement: All students communicate competently and confidently in their Mother Tongue Languages
The Mother Tongue Language Department hopes to nurture in our students a strong foundation and an enduring interest in the Mother Tongue Languages.
We hope to impart in our students the love for language and an appreciation of the beauty of the Mother Tongue Languages. To achieve this, we organised several programmes and activities in conjunction with the MTL Fortnight, such as, Mass Story Book Borrowing with National Library Board, Creative Writing Competition, Lantern Making Workshop, Malay Martial Arts Workshop, Bungar Manggar Workshop and Malay Dance Workshop.
We also expose our students to the different cultures of our ethnic groups through festive celebrations, such as Lunar New Year Celebrations, Hari Raya Celebrations and Mid-Autumn Festival.
The school's first Chinese Language publication 'Kang Qing' was launched in January 2014. This publication is a compilation of students' daily written works and reflections. The objectives of this publication are to provide a platform to showcase students' works, and to encourage students in learning Chinese Language.
The MTL Department also believes that for a child to appreciate his Mother Tongue Language, the best approach is through cultural immersion. The Taiwan Cultural Exchange Programme provides for students an opportunity to attend classes and participate in co-curricular and enrichment activities. There are also opportunities for interactions with the local community, visiting places of educational and cultural interest. These will enhance the depth of the total learning experience.
The North Zone Chinese Language Cluster Sharing for all the CL teachers in the cluster schools was organised on 29 Aug 2014. The objectives of the sharing were to provide a platform for exchange of best practices on teaching and learning for teachers, and to develop N7 Secondary Schools' CL teachers' competencies.
The MTL teachers also initiated a learning journey to Woodgrove Primary School. The objective of this learning journey was to provide an opportunity for teachers to know and learn the MTL curriculum in primary schools. This will definitely enable teachers to better prepare themselves in designing our programmes at the secondary level.
- A hands-on experience for our students A hands-on experience for our students
- Taiwan Cultural Exchange Programme --Wearing the Tribal Suit Taiwan Cultural Exchange Programme --Wearing the Tribal Suit
- Visit to an orphanage in Taiwan Visit to an orphanage in Taiwan
- A special gift from a special friend A special gift from a special friend
- A student writing a Chinese character A student writing a Chinese character
- Chinese New Year Concert Chinese New Year Concert
- Creative Writing Composition Creative Writing Composition
- Greeting cards made by our students Greeting cards made by our students
- Hari Raya Concert Hari Raya Concert
- Mass Story Book Borrowing with National Library Board Mass Story Book Borrowing with National Library Board
- Students with their decorated fans Students with their decorated fans